I suppose I grew up in a bizarre place as a result of I had by no means heard of “funeral potatoes” till shifting to Utah. It’s actually simply tacky potato casserole, however the humorous title is what I like to make use of.
From what I perceive, this dish bought its title as a result of it’s a typical facet dish served on the luncheons that observe funeral companies right here. It’s a nice dish for feeding a crowd, so it positively is sensible. I personally have by no means had them at a meal after a funeral service, however I’ve positively had them at numerous vacation gatherings. It’s all the time a success.
Everybody, and I do imply EVERYONE, has their very own recipe for this potluck favourite. Individuals say they’re well-known in every single place, however that individuals name all of them types of various issues. I used to be slightly hesitant at first, however upon attempting them I can see why everybody loves them. I looooove the cheese-y potatoes with the crunchy topping! It’s scrumptious.
And my mother says that they often have potato chips as a topping too, however I’ve solely ever had corn flakes cereal (how odd to mix cereal and cheese potatoes, however it works!) in order that’s what we persist with. I don’t know why they’re are so good, possibly simply the entire consolation meals factor, however we’ve got them each Christmas or Easter now.
Elements Wanted for Funeral Potatoes
Okay, I’m not going to lie about this dish, there’s nothing wholesome about it. Haha! Which might be why it’s so dang good! It’s a dish you need to have on particular events, however in all probability not a number of occasions per week. Right here is your grocery record:
- Cream of Hen Soup
- Bitter Cream (gentle)
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Hash Browns (frozen)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Corn Flakes
The measurements for every ingredient could be discovered within the recipe card beneath.
How one can Make Funeral Potatoes
This recipe is really easy! Of all the explanations to like it, that is in all probability my favourite! You’ll be able to feed a crowd one thing everybody loves and it may be finished with virtually no work in any respect! Listed below are the fundamental steps:
- Pull the potatoes out of the freezer to allow them to defrost whilst you make the sauce.
- Mix bitter cream, soup and butter in a bowl till easy after which add the seasonings and cheese.
- Add within the potatoes and fold them into the sauce.
- In a separate bowl, mix the corn flakes and butter.
- Put the potato combination right into a a 9×13 baking dish and prime with the corn flakes.
- Take away from the oven and let sit for a couple of minutes earlier than serving.
All the particular directions for this recipe could be discovered within the recipe card beneath.
Can Funeral Potatoes Be Frozen?
Funeral potatoes freeze effectively. Make all the things as written within the directions apart from the corn flakes. Place within the baking dish (I like to make use of aluminum foil pans), cowl with plastic wrap after which place within the freezer. It can maintain for as much as 1 month.
While you need to make it, pull it out of the freezer a day earlier than and thaw it within the fridge. Then add the corn flakes and bake as directed within the recipe.
How Lengthy Will Funeral Potatoes Maintain?
Funeral potatoes will maintain within the fridge for as much as 3-4 days. They are often reheated within the microwave for the oven. When you use the microwave, corn flakes will lose their crunch.
Are Corn Flakes Gluten Free?
Many cereals made with gluten free corn or rice aren’t gluten free. Malt flavoring is usually added to cereal. Malt is made out of barley, which incorporates gluten. Corn Flakes include malt flavoring and so corn flakes are not gluten free.
Don’t let the title “funeral potatoes” make you assume these potatoes are unhappy. There may be nothing unhappy about them in any respect! They’re tacky, crunchy, creamy and so addicting. Will probably be a success at any gathering you go to!
Extra Irresistible Potato Recipes
I suppose I grew up in a bizarre place as a result of I had by no means heard of “funeral potatoes” till shifting to Utah. It is actually simply tacky potato casserole, however the humorous title is what I like to make use of.
- 1 can cream of rooster soup
- 2 cups bitter cream gentle
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon pepper
- 24 ounces hash browns frozen squares or shredded
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, melted
- 2 1/2 cups Corn Flakes barely crushed
- Place the potatoes in a colander whilst you put together the sauce to defrost them
- Mix the bitter cream, soup and butter in a bowl till easy. Add within the seasonings and cheese
- Combine within the frozen hash browns, lifting and folding the combination till effectively mixed.
- In a medium bowl, toss the calmly crushed cornflakes with the butter till evenly mixed.
- Scoop out the potato combination right into a 9×13-inch baking dish and prime with the buttered cornflakes.
- Bake at 350 levels for 45 minutes, till scorching and bubbly across the edges.
- Take away from the oven and let sit for about 10 min after which serve!
cowl and retailer left overs within the fridge for as much as 5 days
Quantity Per Serving (1 g)
Energy from Fats 189
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 13g81%
Ldl cholesterol 59mg20%
Vitamin A 797IU16%
Vitamin C 11mg13%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.